


This was one of the main reasons we decided to come to India when we did. Vatsala wanted to see her Nani, (Grandma) as she is getting older. It was a very nice reception they hugged and cried and even though I didn’t understand what was being said they were both very happy to see each other after 22 years. The village is nicer than what you would think when I say village. It was a stone painted building with multiple rooms. The house has a center area that is open and looks up to the clear sky. There are no city lights or pollution where we are at so the view of the stars is something I have never seen before. I’m writing this at 9:00 PM and I am told they will have power for 4 hours starting at 10:30. Not sure of why this time but some electricity is better than none I guess. The funniest thing is no electricity, no lights, no pollution, no toilets, no hot water, but cellphones, YES. Power came on right when I was about to go to sleep.
I was very sore when I woke-up in the morning but had a pretty relaxing day. I had two things going for me, one I was a guest, two I was white, so I was treated like king. I wasn’t allowed to lift anything, pick-up anything and when walking through short doors someone was there to make sure I didn’t bump my head. When we went into town to shop doors were opened and closed for me. If wanted something to eat all I had to do was ask.
(Added story) I forgot to tell the story about Priyanka's Pet Goat. When we were walking the village we came upon a house that had a bunch of baby goats. One of the boys that lived there tied one up and gave it to Priyanka to play with. She walked the goat all over the village and then brought back to the house. There she fed it and played with it. It was quite cute.
Since I am writing this after the fact I can say that this has been my favorite part of the trip. Even the people were poor they seemed happy and tried to do everything they could to make the Americans happy. The peope seemed genuinely happy to see us for us not for our things or from where we came from.
4 comments:
Dude, dont forget to bring me something back. Im like a kid. I'll be like, "WHAT DID YOU BRING ME" the second you come back to work.
Glad to here something positive. Hope all is well. As you can tell, we are home now.
Wow, I'm so glad Munns finally got to see her grandma. And I'm glad that you all got out of the urban areas and into the countryside. Hugs!
Don't get used to that special treatment...our treatment of you won't change when you get back to work!
Post a Comment